It appears that carry trades are not the only thing blowing up in China. A massive explosion, fireball, and mushroom cloud can be seen at chemical storage facility in the Chinese port town of Tianjin…
*DEATH TOLL FROM BLAST IN CHINA'S TIANJIN RISES TO 13: DAILY
*TIANJIN HALTS SUBWAY TO BLAST-HIT BIN HAI NEW AREA ON THURSDAY
*TIANJIN MAYOR URGES CONTROL OF SECONDARY ACCIDENTS AFTER BLAST
Huge explosions at a warehouse for dangerous materials in the northeastern Chinese port of Tianjin killed at least 17 people, injured hundreds and sent massive fireballs into the night sky, officials and witnesses said Thursday.
China's state broadcaster, CCTV, said that at least 17 people were killed and that 32 were in critical condition in hospital. Hundreds of others were taken to hospital. The explosions late Wednesday knocked doors off buildings in the area and shattered windows up to several kilometers (miles) away.
"I thought it was an earthquake, so I rushed downstairs without my shoes on," Tianjin resident Zhang Siyu, whose home is several kilometers from the blast site, said in a telephone interview. "Only once I was outside did I realize it was an explosion. There was the huge fireball in the sky with thick clouds. Everybody could see it."
Zhang said she could see wounded people weeping. She said she did not see anyone who had been killed, but "I could feel death."
There was no indication of what caused the blasts, and no immediate sign of any large release of toxic chemicals into the air. Beijing News reported on its website that there was some unidentified yellow foam flowing at the site.
Police in Tianjin said an initial blast took place at shipping containers in a warehouse for hazardous materials owned by Ruihai Logistics, a company that says it's properly approved to handle hazardous materials. State media said senior management of the company had been detained by authorities, and that President Xi Jinping has demanded severe punishment for anyone found responsible for the explosions.
The official Xinhua News agency said an initial explosion triggered other blasts at nearby businesses. The National Earthquake Bureau reported two major blasts before midnight, the first with an equivalent of 3 tons of TNT, and the second with the equivalent of 21 tons.
The explosions took place in a mostly industrial zone, with some apartment buildings in the vicinity. Buildings of a half-dozen other logistics companies were destroyed in the blasts, and more than 1,000 new Renault cars were left charred in nearby parking lot, Beijing News said.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-12/caught-tape-mushroom-clud-forms-after-massive-explosion-rocks-chinese-port-city?page=1