[ / / / / / / / / / / / / / ] [ dir / agatha / arepa / cafechan / fascist / hkpol / leftpol / vichan ]

/v/ - Video Games

Vidya Gaems
Winner of the 42nd Attention-Hungry Games
/ara/ - A Place for Mothercons.

Email
Comment *
File
Password (Randomized for file and post deletion; you may also set your own.)
* = required field[▶ Show post options & limits]
Confused? See the FAQ.
Flag
Embed
(replaces files and can be used instead)
Oekaki
Show oekaki applet
(replaces files and can be used instead)
Options

Allowed file types:jpg, jpeg, gif, png, webm, mp4, swf, pdf
Max filesize is 16 MB.
Max image dimensions are 15000 x 15000.
You may upload 5 per post.


<BOARD RULES>
[ /agdg/ | Vidya Porn | Hentai Games | Retro Vidya | Contact ]

HookTube embed. Click on thumbnail to play.

9a9012 No.14992843

>Create a solid open world game engine with dynamic procedural generated clouds, realistic temperature gradients based on elevation above or below sea level, time of day, and wither you are near heat sources, and even wind simulation that changes velocity and direction dynamically that effects the direction of Link while paragliding as well as lighter physics objects such as enemy gibs, going as far as to simulating venturi effects while walking between mountain passes

>Then cripple it by slapping it on to weak hardware and locking it to 30fps at 720p while severely limiting draw distances

You think the lead programmers of Breath of the Wild cringe when they see the final hardware their hard work eventually landed on?

Are there any other examples of games that are just way too good to have been locked to whatever hardware they ended up on? Other than multiplats I mean

027f9c No.14992849

Yes.


8c5ad0 No.14992856

At least they worked hard on it. I find it pretty sad that PS4 and Xbone haven't really been used to their potentials in spite of being already outdated by launch. No matter how good your hardware is a game is not going to program itself.

They sell games to the lowest common denominator so they have no incentive to put in effort, though.


d8276e No.14992858

is this really just upscaled to 4k without any other enhancements? if i created something like this and they'd put it as exclusive to 720p 30fps you bet i'd be fucking pissed


9a9012 No.14992864

>>14992858

>is this really just upscaled to 4k without any other enhancements?

Its not upscaling. Everything is being run in the video at a true native 4k. Obviously you can't run the textures themselves at a higher resolution but shadows are being ran at 4k as well as geometry


d8276e No.14992876

File: de3942747efa5aa⋯.jpg (54.42 KB, 512x437, 512:437, de3942747efa5aae3931af55a4….jpg)

>>14992864

Oh my fuck, talk about wasted effort


9a9012 No.14992890

>>14992856

Speaking of which, I find it pretty sad that Bloodborne easily drops to 20fps at times despite being an exclusive title for the PS4 on the base system

>>14992876

Running games at a higher resolution doesn't take any effort at all though. The only reason consoles rely on upscaling is because consoles are just too weak to run assets at a higher resolution and upscaling is less taxing. But the graphics config for CEMU for 4k is literally less than 1 MB in size.


8c5ad0 No.14992912

>>14992890

It's about damn time consoles started competently rendering games in at least 1080p. This shit already started in the 7th gen, there was so much marketing around "HD gaming" but many games didn't even run in true 720p, forget 1080p which was only relegated to some sports games and shit. It probably doesn't help that consoles today aren't dedicated gaming machines but gimped PCs.


9a9012 No.14992923

>>14992912

Its outright embarrassing that the base PS4 and Xbone can barely run games even at 1080p. I think 4k is a meme and nobody is going to need that high of a pixel density unless they are really pixel-peeping, but for fucks sake 1080p should be a bare minimum at 30fps. When my shitbox of a laptop can run games better than these consoles you know something is very wrong


08c906 No.14992938

>You think the lead programmers of Breath of the Wild cringe when they see the final hardware their hard work eventually landed on?

They definitely knew from the start, it's a Nintendo exclusive that was meant to be released on just the WiiU initially. And what's the alternative to designing a system that will be limited by hardware? To not design the system at all? You'd have to agree it's certainly better to have put effort in a system that will be limited, than to put in no effort at all.


9a9012 No.14992945

>>14992938

True, but I would assume also that Nintendos development hardware is probably leagues better than their consumer hardware they ship out. There is evidence to suggest Nintendo keeps higher quality assets stored for their games (like that high-poly Mario model found in the game files of Galaxy)


b962a7 No.14992954

only shit-tier programmers tie logic to the animation frames. it's such a simple thing to not do and allow your game to flourish into the future's hardware capabilities. of course, most of the faggots are "writing" games in "engines" using SDKs and couldn't do things like memory management on their own if their chink lives at risk.


9a9012 No.14992978

>>14992954

>only shit-tier programmers tie logic to the animation frames.

This is the result of running the physics engine (in BotWs case it uses Nintendos fork of Havok) on the GPU instead of the CPU, which actually makes sense for some things like simplifying collision detection with the games geometry

The FPS++ graphics pack for CEMU enables dynamic framerate and fixes the games logic as well, but supposedly some people get broken arrows with it on, I think they have since fixed that because I haven't run into issues as of late using it


8c5ad0 No.14993035

>>14992945

You mean demomario? It's not that much higher poly and I believe it was used in the initial E3 demo, they probably reduced it for better performance or something.

That being said that does happen, Goldeneye 007 started development before N64's hardware specs were known at all so Rare was literally doing guesswork and had to cut down graphical quality a bit once they got the actual hardware.


ac87ff No.14993037

>>14992923

>. I think 4k is a meme and nobody is going to need that high of a pixel density unless they are really pixel-peeping

If you want to approach human eye acuity in-game you want 4K and better.


9a9012 No.14993060

>>14993037

The point isn't to approach human eye. The point is to have a high enough pixel density that you can't see pixels themselves at a reasonable viewing distance from the screen. But a higher resolution alone isn't going to get us any closer to "real life" because real life has an effectively infinite texture and geometry resolution, and video games do not. Geometry and textures in games are fixed and not infinite, so getting closer to objects, even at a native high-res, is still going to expose pixels and simple polygon meshes. The only way to achieve infinite scaling is to use voxels over polygons for geometry and vector based textures. But that's still a long ways off


4d8841 No.14993092

>No sandbox game with characters inspired by spacejins artwork

Aw.


463b88 No.14993107

No there aren't any.


9a9012 No.14993108

>>14993035

>That being said that does happen, Goldeneye 007 started development before N64's hardware specs were known at all so Rare was literally doing guesswork and had to cut down graphical quality a bit once they got the actual hardware.

N64 development was done on Silicon Graphics Indy Workstations, which were significantly better than the N64s final spec. The N64 could have at most 8MBs of RAM with expansion. SGI Indys typically started at 16MBs which was massive for the time they were released


94809e No.14993222

>>14992843

If the game is good, fps, hardware, limitations, etc don't matter.


9a9012 No.14993291

>>14993222

If you can make a game good and run at 5 fps then that would be impressive. It's probably not impossible, but it would certainly be an accomplishment. If a game is good than no particular aspect actually matters because the game as a whole is worth more than the sum of its individual parts. But fps does contribute and its a good aspect to have to enhance the experience no matter what


cec8c5 No.14993318

>>14992843

>Solid

>open world game engine

>dynamic procedural generated clouds

>realistic temperature gradients based on elevation above or below sea level

>time of day, and wither you are near heat sources, and even wind simulation that changes velocity and direction dynamically that effects the direction of Link while paragliding

>as well as lighter physics objects such as enemy gibs, going as far as to simulating venturi effects while walking between mountain passes

HA HA HA H AH AHHA HA AH A

THIS IS WHAT NINTENDRONES ACTUALLY BELIEVE

FUCKING MODDED SKYRIM HAS ALL OF THESE THNGS HA HA HA HA HA HA

MODDED FALLOUT NEW VEGAS HAS ALL OF THESE THINGS NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HA HA HA


cec8c5 No.14993328

>>14993318

>going as far as to simulating venturi effects while walking between mountain passes

HA HA HA HA

IMAGINE BEING TOLD TO MAKE A GAME AND YOU WASTE TIME ON THIS USELESS BULLSHIT


4c0e60 No.14993331

>>14993222

If a title is stuttery unresponsive garbage then it's a bad game by default.


c5f181 No.14993347

File: 946460725ed7a4e⋯.jpg (61.61 KB, 540x675, 4:5, 12794586_1521866288118303_….jpg)

>>14993222

>good, fps, hardware, limitations, etc don't matter.

Except all of those directly impact gameplay games like EDF and Shadow of the Colossus were as remembered by their good gameplay as they were remembered by their garbage performance which consequently made these games suffer.


9fca87 No.14993393

>>14992923

>4k a meme

Human eye can see a candle flame at 30 miles, 640x480 used to look great to me.


1dabd3 No.14993401

>>14993222

trips of truth


466550 No.14993438

>going as far as to simulating venturi effects while walking between mountain passes

This part at least is bullshit


ce3309 No.14993443

File: eb5fb1c9bdfb2e6⋯.gif (1.76 MB, 313x313, 1:1, ratto.gif)

I enjoyed how the nature mechanics worked in BOTW, and I wish more games had atleast half as many


91ca8c No.14993639

Nintendo consoles have been underpowered since the N64, the thought that Nintendo's devs would have ever imagined otherwise is laughable.


8a953f No.14993688

>>14993328

>lol look at these retards who actually give a shit about their work

>dude just half-ass things like every other AAA, who cares if the product is soulless shovelware we're getting paid regardless

You are the cancer killing the games industry.


9dfff9 No.14993703

>>14992945

>I would assume also that Nintendos development hardware is probably leagues better than their consumer hardware they ship out

I suppose that would be a little sad. But I assume the purpose of their generally weak harder is their attempt to stay more affordable relative to the competition.


9dfff9 No.14993755

File: fc51b4e302a9c8d⋯.jpg (120.78 KB, 1280x1296, 80:81, angrytodd.jpg)


9a9012 No.14993924

>>14993438

No its actually true in certain locations. Wither the effect is baked in or actually simulated dynamically is another story


98e505 No.14993947

>>14993639

The N64 was more powerful than the PS1 and Saturn. The problem was the cartridge memory size.


9a9012 No.14993961

>>14993703

Nintendo actually understands their market segment unlike Microsoft and Sony. Whereas all consoles are just underpowered PCs Nintendo is the only one who realized the only winning move in the technological arms race on consoles is to simply not play. Its a smart move because its low risk, high reward. The hardware is cheap to manufacture thus even a complete fucking failure like the WiiU can result in minimal losses while Nintendo realizes its all marketing that actually sells consoles and not hardware (and the WiiUs marketing was awful)


94bcbc No.14993980

no


1cd10e No.14994019

File: a4c9377ecf480cc⋯.jpg (137.55 KB, 1920x1080, 16:9, TESV 2018-01-10 03-52-50-5….jpg)

weather physics thread?

volumetric fog is the best shit ever


9a9012 No.14994021

>>14993318

>FUCKING MODDED SKYRIM HAS ALL OF THESE THNGS

I know you're lying because BotW uses ambient temperature as a central gameplay mechanic and there's little reason modders would want to add that to Skyrim especially when most mods are made to fix Bethesdas mistakes instead

>>14993443

Speaking of which its actually possible to feed most animals just by dropping food near them including your own horse


9a9012 No.14994037

>>14994019

>During/after rain storms

>Many surfaces become wet and reflective

I know GTA V did this really well and really added ambience to its rain


9a9012 No.14994042

>>14994038

The WiiU is 32-bit you mean. The Nintendo Switch is a 64-bit console.


132107 No.14994053

File: 2cc4be38a69c45d⋯.webm (15.56 MB, 853x480, 853:480, botw01_2cc4be38a69c45d0d1….webm)

>>14992890

>running games at a higher resolution doesn't take any effort at all though

Except the GPU has to do more work, and that also has a knock-on effect of demanding higher quality textures and such, resulting in more strain and larger game size.

>>14992843

Despite that it still looks good and plays good, and that's on a portable system. I'd say they're not gonna lose sleep over it. Also it's printing money so no fucking way the marketing people are going to care.


a7da9e No.14994065

>>14994055

>>14994038

Where the fuck do you retards come from?

>>14994053

I think he meant effort on the developers part. Not hardware wise


9a9012 No.14994067

>>14994055

The Switch is a 64-bit machine, uses a 64-bit word length and address space, processor, and OS. Just because it has less RAM and most usermode apps run at 32-bit doesn't change that


516b7c No.14994077

>>14992843

Gotta remember BOTW was built for the Wii U and then hastily ported in three months to the Switch in time for launch.

I'm sure a similar game built ground-up for the Switch itself would run much nicer.

>>14992890

> Running games at a higher resolution doesn't take any effort at all though.

Nigger what? The pixel count jumps exponentially as you increase resolution. Pushing pixel counts higher ain't free, especially when you start adding per-pixel post-processing effects.

>>14994055

> it's only 32bit because of a RAM limit

WTF are you talking about?

>>14993443

>>14994021

I wish they had expanded upon the "feeding" mechanic a bit more. If I were table to poison food and drop it for monsters to eat, then kill them when they were stunned, for example, it really would have opened up some stealth options.


40d803 No.14994092

>>14993318

>>14993328

>Bethdrone salty BotW is selling faster than Skyrim did despite Skyrim being a multiplatform game while BotW is a Nintenshit exclusive


8f1fd3 No.14994094

>>14994065

They're youngfags, they'll learn eventually.


132107 No.14994096

File: 720bcdebdc31bb1⋯.jpg (145.1 KB, 637x893, 637:893, 720bcdebdc31bb18eaec059f46….jpg)

>>14994065

People love the game, and all of its nifty details, I'd say any dev would love to have been a part of making it even constrained to a portable.

>>14994077

That man has no idea what he's talking about.


9a9012 No.14994125

>>14994094

I think E3 has attracted a lot of underageb& and low-IQ posters. But it does every year so its to be expected. When Summer ends things will wind down again like every year


513cb9 No.14994162

>>14992912

That's because the average normalfag is easily satisfied if shit looks "good enough" on their latest FPS Skinner box. Vidya went to shit because "gamers" consist of mouth breathing retards and potheads. I don't expect anything to get better in the next gen, either. AMD is already excited about selling the next generation of underpowered and cheap chips for consoles, so get hype for mediocrity and "4K" consoles that still don't run games at 1080p/60fps.

Remember when everyone shat all over xbone for being nothing but digital license fuckery and limited "ownership" of games? I guarantee they'll get away with that kind of kikery next gen. Consumer standards for gamers get lower and lower with time, Microsoft's only mistake was playing their hand too soon.


1cd10e No.14994226

File: f8fe48e615cfc4b⋯.jpg (247.57 KB, 1920x1080, 16:9, TESV 2018-01-12 04-40-58-2….jpg)

>>14994021

>ambient temperature as a central gameplay mechanic and there's little reason modders would want to add that to Skyrim

frostfall mod does exactly that and was released before botw btw


4df1eb No.14994271

File: 319fcbdde8a2980⋯.png (202.32 KB, 400x324, 100:81, ClipboardImage.png)

>venturi effect

Sounds like they almost have the makings of a flight sim engine.


9a9012 No.14994334

>>14994226

"Its Cold and now its not" is not what I mean and many games have done that before both BotW and ToddRim. BotW has a full temperature gradient from hot to hold and the slate goes as far as to give an exact temperature in degrees


b74a05 No.14994372

File: 4c642ddeb9d72cf⋯.png (59.13 KB, 500x434, 250:217, 16611d70c501b8c95fb7ffc4bc….png)

>Todd drones still comparing Skyrim to BotW despite both being fundamentally different games

>Todd drones think Todd has absolute authority over generic RPGs with horseback mechanics(even though Zelda itself has been doing that since 1998)


5852fa No.14994445

>>14994372

>yeah but with all these mods installed the game becomes slightly comparable see they're the same game!


4f1b27 No.14994470

Imagine seriously caring about feeps and 1080ps that it ruins a portable 3d Zelda for you.


fbb63c No.14994494

>>14994470

The PC version runs at a higher resolution and frame rate anyways


5f2177 No.14994540

>>14992923

> I think 4k is a meme and nobody is going to need that high of a pixel density unless they are really pixel-peeping

I got a 4K tv a few weeks ago and the difference vs 1080p is noticeable when sitting at 1.5mts away more or less. It's good, but I still have to try a game at true 4K though.


d2bac8 No.14994557

>>14994334

What do you mean then? Frostfall takes into account the location, time of day and weather to determine the temperature. The temperature changes dynamically and it impacts your gameplay choices. You have to wear warmer clothes, build fires, or stand near already existing fires, to stay warm, and at the extreme end of the spectrum you have to find shelter to wait out the weather.

Skyrim is shit, but Frostfall is a really good mod that ads a lot of immersive stuff to the game in an impactful way. The temperature and the steps you take to prepare for it become an important part of the gameplay experience.


5f2177 No.14994563

File: e4500d1c70ba1a4⋯.png (722.17 KB, 890x647, 890:647, smug dog.png)

>>14994372

>Todd drones will NEVER EVER climb that mountain


9ce728 No.14994571

>>14994271

>steal BotW source code

>use it to make comfy Ace Combat

>Skygunner 2

Alright. Where do they keep their servers?


3dc426 No.14994601

HookTube embed. Click on thumbnail to play.

>>14992856

>I find it pretty sad that PS4 and Xbone haven't really been used to their potentials

I actually think Horizon 3 seriously pushed the Xboner. The graphics are really ridiculous considering it's on the weaker of the two consoles and running at 1080p and the entire map's lighting and weather is based of some crazy system where they recorded real clouds and compress the images to some system that subtly warps the skybox to keep it dynamic. So you get all these distant shadows and weather is based on location within the map. Also the hotwheels expansion's LoD for the far away track is really fucking impressive. I just think it doesn't get any recognition because it's a racing game.


9a9012 No.14994624

>>14994557

BotW has both warm and cold temps. Novel I know considering Skyrims only environment is cold alpine forest


e76e3a No.14994632

skyrim with mountains


caf770 No.14994857

>>14993328

So are you mocking this game for not having these things when Skyrim does, or are you mocking this game for having these things when Skyrim doesn't?


02fb3a No.14995329

YouTube embed. Click thumbnail to play.

You also have to keep in mind, Devs tend to do fancy shit with limited hardware.

Compared to let's say HORIZON ZERO DAWN, BOTW has created a more convincing world, mainly because the developers programmed everything intelligently.

While most ps4 devs use the overhead to just excuse unoptimized performance and just use the toolsets their apis of choice have given them.

I wish more devs were forced to develop with limited hardware, and THEN given the opportunity to work with more beefy solutions.

I mean it speaks volumes when you have developers releasing shit that can make even a 1080 choke on it's own dick, despite the game not looking that great, and don't even get me started on CPU core utilization.


9a9012 No.14995440

File: f3b45e602c9f864⋯.gif (902.59 KB, 224x233, 224:233, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif)

>>14995329

Whenever I see this I fucking cringe when I see the horrible excuse for water physics (or rather lack thereof) in Horizon. Fucking PS2 games had actual dynamic water physics. This shit is so fucking basic its downright inexcusable


b2a291 No.14995445

>>14994372

>Zelda

>RPG

ffs the only Zelda to have RPG elements was Zelda 2 because the series formula hadn't been established yet, calling Zelda an RPG because it's a fantasy game with swords is like saying GTA is a garbage truck simulator because it has garbage trucks


9a9012 No.14995449

>>14995445

It's an Action Adventure RPG. It has too much RPG elements to call it a pure Action Adventure game, yet it doesn't have enough traditional RPG elements to call it a full-on RPG


d000d4 No.14996382

File: 3da6fc022ef6cea⋯.jpg (172.88 KB, 1920x1080, 16:9, conan.jpg)

>>14994563

you can in the game with titties and de-limbing


16e328 No.14996752

>>14994601

>I just think it doesn't get any recognition because it's a racing game.

Or because it's an Xbox game in a generation where Xbox got stomped.


9dfff9 No.14998525

File: 9c2e066a212a588⋯.mp4 (14.86 MB, 640x360, 16:9, BOTW_vs_HZD.mp4)

>>14995329

Always thought the video kind of drags on so I made a faster-paced webm a while back.


373c90 No.14998557

>>Then cripple it by slapping it on to weak hardware and locking it to 30fps at 720p while severely limiting draw distances

they crippled it by having nothing worth exploring and no real incentive to explore. exploring in BOTW ends up just wasting the players time because it costs more resources than you gain and by mid-game you don't stand to gain anything worth using your resources on. It doesn't help that a majority of things to check out are just shitty moblin camps which aren't even worth damaging/breaking your gear for.


9a9012 No.14998843

>>14998557

BotW is a game that starts off really fucking slow so it turns most players off. There's no traditional leveling system. After getting a good raster of high attack power weapons then the pace is able to pick up. The problem is most people are too attached to their weapons so they're too big of pussies to actually use them. But you also have to remember another major mechanic is every weapon has their strengths and weakness. You don't want to cut down a tree with a sword and you don't want to use a hammer as a weapon. You CAN do these things, but you will actually end up wearing them faster

Not saying the games progression isn't horribly broken, it absolutely is, and gaining more shrine orbs ends up being tedious as you trudge through copy+paste shrines. But its disingenuous to say that you can't find a good game hiding in there somewhere. It can just be a lot fucking better. Definitely an awful Zelda game regardless


94809e No.14998854

>>14993291

>>14993222

>>14993347

Say that to old (and eternally good) Atari games. Anything else is secondary to the game being fun.

The thing with current games is that they try to put too much into the gameplay without optimizing the performance first, to ensure that the game will handle everything.

Good and old approach is needed: only put something in the game if it is fun to play it and if the game can handle it.


9a9012 No.14998858

>>14998854

>Say that to old (and eternally good) Atari games.

That's a black and white fallacy, and I wasn't even necessarily disagreeing with you, and weren't the vast majority of Atari games absolute trash?


c33566 No.14998870

WHY THE FUCK DOES IT RAIN MORE IN HYRULE THAN OREGON?


02fb3a No.14998874

>>14998525

Thank ye friend


9a9012 No.14998886

>>14998870

>WHY THE FUCK DOES IT RAIN MORE IN HYRULE THAN OREGON?

What fucking region in Hyrule? Akkala? Necluda? Eldin? Hebra? Faron? It rains more in some provinces than in others friend.


c33566 No.14998918

>>14998886

…anytime I'm hanging on the side of a cliff, it seems like!


9a9012 No.14998928

>>14998918

>See weather forecast in corner

>"Oh shit I better not plan on doing any climbing in this region for the next couple in-game hours!"

>Go to other region in meantime

>Or just warp to your house and sleep

>Problem solved


373c90 No.14998945

>>14998843

>you don't want to use a hammer as a weapon.

I mean I do if it's a warhammer.

>The problem is most people are too attached to their weapons so they're too big of pussies to actually use them.

for me it was more about why risk breaking my good sword on moblins when all i stand to gain is another potentially worse sword as a reward. So I held on to my good weapons thinking to save them for tougher enemies/bosses only to find out those don't exist in that game


fe5c53 No.14998964

File: 3a8a1915eee1e3f⋯.png (374.84 KB, 976x470, 488:235, malice.png)

It still bothers me that instead of showing what the surrounding regions of Hyrule could look like, Nintendo instead decided to stretch Hyrule to whatever limits the system could handle. We could've explored what lies West of Hyrule or seen other countries and provinces with their own history, but instead we get the same standard Death Mountain/Gerudo Desert/Zora's Domain set-up we've been getting since the 90s


c33566 No.14998969

File: 48e09c0a9c3c652⋯.gif (992.08 KB, 919x546, 919:546, fug.gif)

>>14998928

LOL! If only that was my experience.

>I want to do something

>almost EVERYTHING in this game is vertical

>so much so that they gave LINK a SUPER JUMP. NOT JUST A JUMP A MOTHER FUCKING SUPER JUMP! Fucking Link of all people! WHITE ELVES CAN'T JUMP

>can't even collect rushrooms on cliff sides because it will start raining

>See weather forecast in corner

>rain

>Go to other region in meantime

>See weather forecast in corner

>rain

>Or just warp to your house and sleep

>See weather forecast in corner

>rain

>turn off WiiU, go outside to great NW

>See weather forecast

>rain

MFW


c33566 No.14998980

File: b54fe505e28c4a2⋯.jpg (580.14 KB, 1049x1500, 1049:1500, rain rain go away.jpg)

Even Kotaku agrees with me!

https://www.Kotamu.com (please use archive.is)m.au/2017/03/i-swear-if-it-rains-in-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-one-more-god-damn-time/


9a9012 No.14998987

File: ec56639bc0d0fd0⋯.jpg (12.67 KB, 255x194, 255:194, 58dc9a1516.jpg)

>>14998969

>>14998980

>Kotaku

>Actually trying to link directly too it

Yeah I am no longer going to take what you say seriously


c33566 No.14998997

>>14998987

Oh thank God. you guys are so easy to fuck with some times I swear :^)


9a9012 No.14999017

File: 258e1ac3ead5f7b⋯.jpg (19.16 KB, 500x346, 250:173, 258.jpg)

>>14998945

>So I held on to my good weapons thinking to save them for tougher enemies/bosses only to find out those don't exist in that game

There's different tiers of moblins. like the blue and nigger ones that have a lot more health. Then there's Lynels which also have different tiers. The biggest issues are that its too easy for the player to just ignore these guys since they are not required to fight to progress though the game

>>14998997

Please do not ruse me I am warning you not today


0857d4 No.14999045

>>14994092

They're both garbage games. "selling more" just means normalfags like you are equally retarded on both games.


0857d4 No.14999046

>>14998997

>pretending to be retarded

Nice try


776b1f No.14999074

File: 19fb9d643c01703⋯.jpg (17.09 KB, 321x303, 107:101, Black Green Lex Luthor.jpg)


490673 No.14999100

>>14992843

Why the fuck is zelda in the vid you piece of shit zelda isn't a strank werrior wemon.

Fuck you!


9a9012 No.14999163

>>14999100

>Choosing the boy

What are you, gay?


3ce66d No.14999183

We could spend all day talking about the features in BOTW that went wasted.

How about a very good dynamic lighting system that works very well but only using darkness as an element in 3 rooms in the game, and making "Night Time" Blue Daytime.


e0ba64 No.14999261

>>14992843

You'd think the engineers would be proud that they managed to get so much shit working on a system as weak as the WiiU. tech wise it's comparable to 8th gen titles using many modern techniques but it's running on hardware with clear disadvantages to 7th gen platforms

Personally my favourite aspects of this game visually are the clouds, the grass and moving distant objects, it's elements like this that really stand out and are the things that I'd rather devs focus on, I don't care for many high poly models and 8k textures, I want living breathing worlds that feel bigger than the small space directly in front of the player. It's things like this that make me excited to see what Nintendo's engineers will do with the next generation gap.

Nintendo aren't the only company that do this but so few companies do this that it's painful.


9a9012 No.15000251

File: 7730d5874696d32⋯.png (3.74 MB, 1920x1080, 16:9, Cemu 1.11.6b - FPS_ 30.00 ….png)

>>14999261

>You'd think the engineers would be proud that they managed to get so much shit working on a system as weak as the WiiU. tech wise it's comparable to 8th gen titles using many modern techniques but it's running on hardware with clear disadvantages to 7th gen platforms

Nintendo I will admit did a fantastic job at hiding the WiiUs weaknesses, mostly because they focused on its few strengths. People do NOT realize how weak the WiiU actually was I think. Its main CPU is literally the same PowerPC 750CL core that goes ALL THE WAY BACK to 2001 with the Gamecube. The WiiU relied on a CPU from 2001 yet the GPU itself was adequate enough for them to get away with native 1080p and 60 fps at times

Even still, there was actually no way for them to get Breath of the Wild running on the WiiU any better than native 720p at 30fps with some frame drops at times. Part of the reason the artists chose simplified geometry and texture work was to try and hide its low native res. But the WiiU really does not do the game justice. Not even the Switch can do the game justice really but I attribute it more to the fact its more of a straight port that barely takes advantage of the Switchs superior hardware other than a better native res

At the moment only a PC with CEMU can really do the game any justice. You get a full 60fps, a full native 1080p, superior LOD bias, and the ability to adjust the fog/lighting for a much "cleaner" look than what you get on console. The only thing missing is the ability to increase overall draw distances but IIRC BotW modders are currently researching how the games engine works to maybe someday come up with a solution for that as well.


2e1d40 No.15000296

File: 75a049cf59a959f⋯.jpg (11.75 KB, 280x357, 40:51, Thief_The_Dark_Project_box….jpg)


9a9012 No.15000357

>>15000296

I recall some really good deep analysis done of Thief some anon shared here once, anyone have the vid?


516b7c No.15000412

>>14995449

What role-playing elements does Zelda actually have?

You cannot define your own role, you cannot role-play as that character, you have a static world which does not change depending on your actions, you are given a set character and a set world and a (usually) linear path through it.

Equipment upgrades and resource acquisition is not role-playing. XP bars are not role-playing.

Role-playing is playing a role and having that role affect the world.

>>14998928

> playing with the HUD on

how relaxed and casual

>>15000251

The CPU isn't the exact same. Same architecture but it's been beefed up (higher clock speed, bigger cache, etc).


9a9012 No.15000417

>>15000412

>The CPU isn't the exact same. Same architecture but it's been beefed up (higher clock speed, bigger cache, etc).

Its an identical core to the 750CL, there's just 3 of them on one chip package iirc


98e505 No.15000424

>>15000412

>Role-playing is creating a role and having that role affect the world.

FTFY


132107 No.15000473

HookTube embed. Click on thumbnail to play.

>>15000357

This one I assume.


516b7c No.15000474

>>15000417

There are differences between Gekko (GameCube) and Espresso (Wii U) but not many.

There are more than one, like you said, but there's also a higher clockspeed and more cache and other small changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gekko_(microprocessor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_(microprocessor)

So not the exact same, just more of the same.

It's impressive what Nintendo is able to do with their mantra of "lateral thinking with outdated technology". The fact they still (with few exceptions) turn a profit on hardware while others lose it hand-over-fist trying to make money back on licensing speaks volumes too.


9a9012 No.15000492

File: 5ad8bb44b327a79⋯.jpg (393.38 KB, 629x629, 1:1, 1506535224392.jpg)

>>15000474

>The fact they still (with few exceptions) turn a profit on hardware while others lose it hand-over-fist trying to make money back on licensing speaks volumes too.

Nintendo almost always turn a profit on hardware because they have mastered what I would call "practical" engineering. Like you said, its lateral thinking with outdated technology. Nintendo hardware is cheap to produce so the profit margins are higher and the risk is minimized. With the risk minimized they can focus on gimmicks and marketing. Its an absolutely brilliant move. They know marketing and gimmicks are cheaper than a technological arms race but can potentially make more money than what Sony and Microsoft are doing. It works, because at the end of the day consoles will always be weaker than PCs anyways so its safer to assume the console market is not necessarily looking for the best graphics anyways.


2e1d40 No.15000554

>>15000357

>>15000473

Was more specifically talking about Thief 3. Which was made for consoles and suffered for it.


132107 No.15000880

>>15000554

Thief 3 was a fair downgrade overall, especially in level design, but I can consider it a somewhat legitimate attempt at a Thief game. Also mods help fix issues like the loading zones and wall-press being so OP, just as they polish up the first two.


3da0da No.15001416

>>14993393

Human eye can see a galaxy at 15,000,00,000,000 miles. Render distance for reality is only limited by redshift, and it's KINDA far.


46b693 No.15001421

>>14993222

Yeah, such a shame it isn't so your argument doesn't apply.


9a9012 No.15001601

>>15001416

On Earth which is round, you cannot see farther than 3.1 miles or 5 kilometers generally speaking

Which I find funny because we now have open world games with worlds that can span 10 miles or more in one direction and I'm sure at this point having realistic draw distance to account for Earths curvature would probably seem unrealistic to some people (Reality is Unrealistic Effect)


132107 No.15001678

>>15001601

I find that implausible even for a perfect spheroid, which most open world games are not because that'd be boring as shit. Also I've actually measured really far distances with a total station before, around 5-6km.


00de79 No.15001699

>>15001601

>>15001416

This is glorious argument against flat earthers. "You can see mars from earth, but you cannot see china from new york".


02fb3a No.15001734

File: 217e421f6bf57ee⋯.jpg (36.27 KB, 454x300, 227:150, lol8.jpg)

>>15001699

>HE THINKS THE EARTH IS ROUND

The only thing ROUND is the BULLET I'm gonna put in your FUCKIN HEAD


164e28 No.15001804

>>15001734

Funny literally every pro-nazi argument is done this way.


02fb3a No.15001822

>>15001804

You're a pro-nazi it comin'

Cuz I'm gonna fuckin shoot ya.


2d13b3 No.15001829

>>14995329

BOTW has beautiful graphics and a fun physics engine. It may be an empty shell of a game, but at least it's a nice shell. HZD is trash in every respect.


02fb3a No.15001835

>>15001829

I actually have a blast hunting around for Korok seeds, mainly because the mini-puzzles are everywhere.

What the game needs is more meaningful content.

I'd kill for a game in a world as interactive as BOTW's but with co-op and a more refined combat system along with more meaningful content/dungeons.

As empty as it is, it's one of the few open world games that has me just wandering around.

I really, really hope they don't drop the engine and do a majora's mask-esque sequel, instead of starting over. The foundation is there.


2d13b3 No.15001857

>>15001835

I like to think as BOTW as a beta for whatever comes next. It feels like they spent so much time building the engine and assets that in the end they lacked the time and resources to add anything substantial to an (admittedly beautiful) bare frame.

Hopefully the next game will essentially be BTOW with a more content rich world.


9bdcb0 No.15001886

Oh man I really had fun playing these wind velocity changes and temperature gradients kek


8c5ad0 No.15001913

>>15000492

They've only been doing that from the beginning with their handhelds. Their consoles up to the Gamecube had contemporary hardware (though in case of N64 and GC, hindered by small storage capacity), only since the Wii they've had underpowered consoles. It worked with the Wii as they sold it as a casual machine, the Wii U bombed because of a terrible name and marketing and no real niche, the Switch is thriving again however.


516b7c No.15001947

>>15001913

The NES and the SNES were both underpowered too. NES was built on a CPU made in the 70's, and the SNES was half the clockspeed of the Mega Drive but with more built-in capabilities like Mode 7 to make up for some shortcomings.


9bdcb0 No.15001956

>>15001913

Nintendo rebranded as the children console since the N64. Anons who remember those days fondly, were just kids unaware of the larger world of gaming around them at the time: who in some cases still don't know that in the days of kiddieware GoldenEye, pc gamers were actually busy busting their brains on Quake 2 tournaments.

There is merit in making the perfect kid's toy, however. Only the very young strive to be considered big boys, as if theirs was a condition to mend.


516b7c No.15001985

>>15001956

> Nintendo rebranded as the children console since the N64

Nintendo has been child and family friendly since the beginning, based in their origins as a playing card and then a toy company (their investments in love hotels not withstanding). Sega's main selling point was that they were edgy and mature, with 90's "radi-cool" styling, instead of the typically more timeless style Nintendo goes for.


78fc91 No.15002051

File: 1359775b0cad10f⋯.jpg (28.57 KB, 500x532, 125:133, dbc70192a62d8d959255e91076….jpg)

>>15001886

>Oh man I really had fun playing these wind velocity changes and temperature gradients kek

Playing in huge empty random-generated worlds filled with repetitive grinding quests and devoid of anything unique is truly the pinnacle of videogames! Nintendo learned a lot from Ubisoft!


fadefd No.15002065

>>15002051

>Playing in huge empty random-generated worlds filled with repetitive grinding quests and devoid of anything unique

>daggerfall.exe


16c0e8 No.15002132

>>14995449

Picking up a sword is not RPG elements you fucking nintendo child.

>>15002065

>"Zelda might be bad, but it's only as bad as a game from 22 years ago!"


1836b3 No.15002136

>>15002065

Daggerfall gets a pass because it actually had quests and shit to do even if the world itself was procedural generated and empty. Also because it was fucking 1996.


02fb3a No.15002137

>>15002132

>Grinding quest

????

BOTW is maplestory now?


10a591 No.15002186

>>15002132

>nintendo child

They're called nintenyearolds.


0e0b20 No.15002843

>>14998969

>>can't even collect rushrooms on cliff sides because it will start raining

Shoot the shroom with an arrow. I know you're just baiting but for everyone else it's a simple and easy way to get rushrooms without climbing every rock in the world, the arrow usually falls back down with it too I think. It's one of those little tricks.

>>15001857

>I like to think as BOTW as a beta for whatever comes next.

Same. I'm hoping the sequel is them doing the same thing but better. More environment variety, more towns, more defined regions that feel like totally unique places that aren't 5 minutes away from a completely different place so it looks fucking weird having them right next to each other.

I've always wanted a Zelda game that took a few notes from the horror genre, specifically Gothic horror. I'd like to explore more spooky dark woods, more spooky dark castles, more spooky dark whatever. BOTW was a decent start to that, Hyrule Castle was a great place to go through. Give me less killer robots, more ghosts, maybe even make up the Zelda equivalent of a vampire and I'd be happy, even if it's just one region in the game, just give me a little taste of Castlevania in my Zelda.


98e505 No.15005356

Bump


0857d4 No.15005949

>>15002843

>Same. I'm hoping the sequel is them doing the same thing but better

If they actually tried they could make BoTW II a semi decent game. Though at the point where it became good I imaging you wouldn't even recognize it as a BoTW sequel.


0e0b20 No.15006031

>>15005949

So long as it's an open-world game with an actually fun world with things to actually do and MOUNTAINS of polish, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.


0857d4 No.15006061

>>15006031

>with an actually fun world with things to actually do

In theory that's fine. In execution BoTW wasn't even remotely fun most of the time. If they want a "fun world" they would have to change a lot of fundamental things they fucked up in BotW, down to the very geography. Like I said, if they changed it to make it engaging, you probably wouldn't recognize the game anymore.


0e0b20 No.15006082

>>15006061

You're probably right. I think the first thing they should do, at least, is either make it smaller, or break it down into separate regions and condense them.


0857d4 No.15006090

>>15006082

>or break it down into separate regions and condense them

Had the same thought since I found climbing anywhere and gliding to be a retarded game mechanic in that it made the geography virtually useless to take consideration of when you can just plan a mostly straight line through the map instead by the use of those 2 mechanics.


8c5ad0 No.15007069

>>15002843

Yeah, the engine is incredible and they can spend more time on the actual content now. A new Zelda should be either a prequel or a sequel in a time where Hyrule is more thriving. They should also bring back some of the staples like unique items instead of runes that you all get at the beginning of the game.


132107 No.15007619

File: e4e7cbea475895a⋯.jpg (294.85 KB, 1654x1921, 1654:1921, purahtin.jpg)

>>15007069

As much as I enjoy the open world style I would've liked to see the mini-dungeons supplemented by main ones like a traditional Zelda game. Definitely they needed to throw more unique items at you too, rather than more throwaway weapons with bigger numbers.

Also I find the modern-esque stuff amusing. Link effectively has a smartphone, and the guardians even come in drone forms. The legal loli with the randoseru is particularly great.

>>15006090

The terrain does actually matter since gliding can only take a chunk out of any journey, and climbing only applies to short stretches.


fe5c53 No.15007917

File: 42dc7a0ddca113b⋯.jpg (148.52 KB, 700x829, 700:829, gsg-daniela-castlehyrule.jpg)

>>15007619

I can't stand the modern aspect of it, hopefully it was a one-time thing for BOTW and every game from now on won't have tablets and motorcycles. It boggles my mind how people can defend BOTW as a return to form for the series when it refuses to go back to the traditional fantasy roots of the first game


8c5ad0 No.15007956

>>15007619

I'm mostly talking about the technical aspects like weather, physics, temperature, etc., a compromise with gameplay is exactly what I want. Just tweak the climbing and gliding mechanic so that it doesn't make traversing the land too easy, and if they want to retain breakable items I'd prefer it more like a usual RPG where they only wear very slowly over time and you can fix them instead of having to find them over and over in abundance.

>>15007917

Honestly the biggest thing that bothered me about it is that BoTW is stated to take many many years after every other game in the series while the advanced Sheikah stuff predates every game except Skyward Sword. So where were all those highly advanced thingamajigs that no one understood how to use in all these games?


9a9012 No.15011524

>>15007956

>Honestly the biggest thing that bothered me about it is that BoTW is stated to take many many years after every other game in the series while the advanced Sheikah stuff predates every game except Skyward Sword. So where were all those highly advanced thingamajigs that no one understood how to use in all these games?

Its supposed to play off the "Precursors" Trope in many pieces of western media originally inspired by the Romance era of the 1800s fascination with the Roman Empire and Ancient Greece. As well as magitek shit. Honestly, very few stories have ever done either trope justice


9a9012 No.15011542

Also sage for doublepost. In my opinion, BotWs biggest mistake was having so many items you could sell but very few you could actually buy. The only weapons you can "buy" are the ancient weapons. If the game had more blacksmiths/weapons sellers it would probably feel a lot less stagnant


0e0b20 No.15014033

>>15011542

I agree. It also would have toned down the complaints about the durability system. i personally never found it cumbersome and almost never actually ran short on weapons, but I've seen some complain like it killed their playthrough. I wouldn't have minded a couple of weapon shops. I'll hope the next game isn't set in a borderline apocalypse and Nintendo can build a thriving town or two with big-ass markets to waste all my money in on stupid crap.


0857d4 No.15014350

>>15007619

>since gliding can only take a chunk out of any journey

Which is pretty shit.

>and climbing only applies to short stretches.

Sorta. Game should have just had designated climbing areas like the older titles did.


02fb3a No.15014362

>>15014350

>DESIGNATED CLIMBING AREAS

fuck that, the amount of vertical space was great, and the amount of obstacles (FUCKIN RAIN, FUCKING STAMINA) made climbing a risk-reward mechanic. Even gliding didn't truly take that much out of moving from point a to point b, even with maximum stamina.


0857d4 No.15014389

>>15014362

>the amount of vertical space was great

Yea as a natural boundary that you couldn't just wizz past.

>(FUCKIN RAIN, FUCKING STAMINA) made climbing a risk-reward mechanic

Except you just wouldn't climb if there was rain and Stamina was retarded in Skyward Sword and it's just as retarded in BoTW. It's not even risk reward. It's just not being retarded. If there were "designated" climbing areas it would at the very least make it seem as though the map actually had a decent amount of thought gone into the maps.

>Even gliding didn't truly take that much out of moving from point a to point b, even with maximum stamina.

It kinda does actually. You're just not familiar with it because you haven't tried not using it. Gliding would have just been replaced with ropes tat you buy (that couldn't be retrieved, thus making shops more useful) to climb down long ledges. Would make much more sense and wouldn't still make the player think a little about how to get point B.


9a9012 No.15017696

>>15014033

The retards who complain about weapon durability are the same casuals who couldn't make it past the first 10 shrines

and when I say casual, I mean the worst kind of casual, because Zelda isn't "hard". BotW starts out slowly, these people are just too casual to actually progress. Things really start picking up as you progress through the world and by the time you're at Rito Village weapons with 50 attack power start looking like what Tree Branches looked like at the beginning of the game. To get better weapons you have to progress through the game and as you get better weapons more challenging enemies start spawning and more powerful weapons that used to be rare become common. This is what people don't understand, the weapons you come across just by exploring actually scale based on your current inventory so you shouldn't have to be afraid of throwing away your current shit.


0e0b20 No.15017717

>>15017696

Shouldn't be afraid of using your good current shit either. "But what if I need my really good sword later?" is bullshit because your sword is meant to hit things and you have plenty of things to hit, hitting things is fun, stop worrying about it and go fucking hit things with your sword. I always had too many bows and shields and I found it fun to tear through my weapons like candy only to replace it with new crap I found lying around, it was a fun little rinse-and-repeat cycle that kept things feeling fresh.

I can understand people not liking the weapon durability system, but only an idiot would actually be impeded by it.


9a9012 No.15017728

>>15017717

>"But what if I need my really good sword later?" is bullshit because your sword is meant to hit things and you have plenty of things to hit, hitting things is fun, stop worrying about it and go fucking hit things with your sword.

The beauty of the durability system over all I think is that it DOES let you do exactly that, but if you actually pay attention, there are ways of OPTIMIZING your weapon durability for different needs. For example, the woodcutters axe will obviously not wear as fast if you use it for cutting trees instead of as a battle axe. Broadswords are obviously shit at cutting trees. And while many weapons can break through ore, the hammers and stone smashers can do it much more efficiently. (Although if you really want to you can just use bombs on those and fling shit everywhere)

Eventually more powerful weapons with durability up status become more common as well


0857d4 No.15019520

>>15017728

>there are ways of OPTIMIZING your weapon

Yea geeze. That's what I've always wanted in my Zelda games. A way of making sure my weapons don't break by using them in autistic ways. I love how you faggots always defend mechanics without even wondering if they should even be in the game in the first place.


aaec5f No.15019531

>>15017936

>>>/cuckchan/


c5f181 No.15019557

File: 6b5a5169dce8445⋯.png (53.34 KB, 376x362, 188:181, Anon cross arms.png)

>>14998854

>Say that to old (and eternally good) Atari games.

If anything that only solidifies my point, there have been 30 years of games, hardware and standards because muh gwafix over frames and res because normalfags.

Fucking consolefags sure do love eating shit, goddamn.


c5f181 No.15019561

>>15019557

>And yet we're still stuck with godawful shit that actually affects gameplay because muh gwafix over frames and res because normalfags


8c5ad0 No.15019583

>>15019557

>>15019561

It's funny, Xbone and PS4 are underpowered by state of the art PC standards and yet I'd still gladly take some games that don't look pretty and flashy (and thus won't appeal to casuals) but fucking do something to put in more content. Several of my favorite games like say Fallout 2 and GTA San Andreas were severely hampered by technical standards yet managed to include so much content, with just enough smart programming we could have bigger and better games than that today. But no, let's have games struggling to maintain 30FPS in not-1080p that focus too much on superficialities. It backfires too, I find games from say circa 2006 more appealing to look at to this day than most current gen and late last gen titles because they look clear instead of being loaded with shittons of filters dipped in vaseline.


544929 No.15019609

>>15019520

Concise argument, heres a concise rebuttal, fellate a gun.


228906 No.15019807

My main beef is that they didn't do enough with what thy built when it comes to gameplay. I like the idea of the shrines in principle but in practice they didn't go far enough. Fuck going down an elevator into a Portal ripoff pocket dimension. Just integrate the puzzles into the overworld. The mazes got this right. The korok puzzles also got this right, but were too simple. There should have been a middle ground where you had puzzles in the landscape but with the complexity of the shrines. I guess they needed a "story justification" for why nobody else had solved the shrines or why they were only accessible to the hero, but for fuck's sake if the people of Hyrule are such do-nothings that they barely rebuilt anything in 100 years how do you expect them to solve shrine puzzles? Amish people can raise a barn in a fucking day. Hylians are pathetic.

>>14994077

>I wish they had expanded upon the "feeding" mechanic a bit more. If I were table to poison food and drop it for monsters to eat, then kill them when they were stunned, for example, it really would have opened up some stealth options.

The feeding mechanics sucked. You don't get hungry or anything, and you can fully restore your hearts by just cooking one food item with the "hearty" descriptor. It's annoying that the combinations are no more complex than combining foods with the same descriptors and that you're limited to a single food effect at a time. The bad food possibilities don't even hurt you, which is an obvious missed opportunity. The fact that you can't distract monsters with food is a bizarre oversight because you can distract the Yiga with bananas so it's not like this didn't occur to them. For something so central to the mechanics it gets hardly enough attention.

>>14994021

>Speaking of which its actually possible to feed most animals just by dropping food near them including your own horse

You can feed your horse out of your hands if you hold some stuff near their face.


0857d4 No.15020054

>>15019609

It is concise dipshit. Nobody asked for a durability system in Zelda. Yet it's what we got and it does nothing to expand on the game and only serves as a tedium mechanics. If you want to actually go into why it doesn't work within the games other mechanics and parameters then feel free to ask.


228906 No.15020064

>>15020054

>If you want to actually go into why it doesn't work within the games other mechanics and parameters then feel free to ask.

Not him but I'd like to read your post about it.


46ad4e No.15020079

File: 4bd1afacfb9e14e⋯.png (392.3 KB, 1000x1000, 1:1, the bing bing man dont ban….png)

>>14992856

>implying children aren't the lowest common denominator

>console wars shittery

>defending Soytendo

Pottery


0857d4 No.15020114

>>15020064

>want to fight enemy much harder than you

>want to feel the challenge of grinding down their HP and getting extremely good loot or bonus

>want to do some ballsy shit that nobody in their right mind would do but you want to because that's what an "open world" game should allow me to do

<can't because my weapon broke after 4 swings and I have to run away because I didn't fall in line to the casual playstyle this game forces you to surrender to

On the bright side you can just guzzle down one of the many dozens of health potions you have so you'll never die. And if your enemy has a counter parry you can just get a weak ass shield and qte the fuck out of them. Honestly I would have a really hard time being concise about why the weapon durability hurts the other games mechanics because I would have to go into what makes those other mechanics wrong as well. I sincerely couldn't fit that shit inside of 3 long ass posts. I've been thinking about writing a short essay on it, the problem is who the fuck would listen when the primary audience for these games are below the age of 14 or such die hard fans that they'll never consider anything I have to say?


0e0b20 No.15024012

>>15020064

>>15020054

>>15020114

<"let me tell you why X is bullshit

>"okay, tell me"

<"I can't tell you because everyone is too stupid to understand me"


000000 No.15024119

>>14995445

>>14995449

>>15000412 especially retarded

>Final Fantasy is not an rpg

>Thief is not an rpg

>Legacy of kain is not an rpg

>Dark souls is not an rpg

>Harvest moon is not an rpg

>Digimon world is not an rpg

>Xenosaga is not an rpg

>Valkyria chronicles is not an rpg

>any ultima game is not an rpg

>any atelier game is not an rpg

>any rune factory game is not an rpg

so on and so forth.


000000 No.15024524

>botw

>solid

are nintendrones really THIS delusional?


516b7c No.15024646

>>15024119

> Final Fantasy

Not an RPG. JRPGs are not RPGs, that's why they have a different name. They are more linear, have no choices of any consequence to the story or the world, i.e. little chance to role-play.

> Thief

Stealth game.

> Legacy of Kain

Action Adventure

> Dark Souls

Action Adventure

> Harvest Moon

Farming simulator

> Digimon World

Never played it. Might be an RPG.

> Xenosaga

Never played it, but since it's made in Japan I'd say it's more likely a JRPG than an RPG.

> Valkyria Chronicles

Tactical Third-person shooter

> Ultima

Never really got in to those. I tried, but years after the fact.

> Atelier

More JRPGs

> Rune Factory

Honestly, I'd lean towards yes. You can create your own character and your choices do have consequences on the world around you and play a role with that world, even if it's fairly constrained.

RPG does not mean loot, XP, and level ups, you flaming cock-gobbler. It's about role-playing. If you're not playing your own defined role in a world, and having that world react to it, you're probably just playing a fucking skinner box with elves and waifus. Not that there's anything wrong with that there is but there is a fundamental difference between what RPGs are, and how the term is used, and this is how the marxists win, you commie scum.

TOR posters really are the worst.


8c5ad0 No.15024786

>>15020079

I know I'm replying to bait but children are smarter than normalfag casuals.


0857d4 No.15025121

>>15024012

>"I can't tell you because everyone is too stupid to understand me"

Who don't you refute my basic arguments first faggot? All you're telling me now is that if I did actually make a long as post explaining this is the exact fucking reply I would get.


000000 No.15025196

>>15024646

>has a character, has a plot

>not a role

>only muh magical snowflakes count

You're the kind of person to write self-sue fanfics aren't you?

>>>/tumblr/ is thataway

>TOR posters really are the worst.

You forgot kikes, kike.


9ef77b No.15025256

>>14993222

I bet if /v/ existed back in the 90s they’d complain about Doom having high hardware requirements.


db3218 No.15025289

>>15024646

>RPG autism

Dismissed. JRPGs are RPGs, but a better name is console rpg.


e05361 No.15025317

>get told to make a new zelda game

>copy "RPG" mechanics from other franchises wholesale

>tell the guys who are making the engine to add in useless performance costly graphical effects

>pretend they're simulated when they're just 2d wind sprites moving along a set path and areas with wind gradients set by a fucking paint tool over specific areas where it's convenient for game-play

<nintendrones actually think this is what makes a good game

Funny how on the front page there's a thread about an indie game being called shilling meanwhile this thread has blatant lies in it and fanboyism and actual literal shilling and it's all fine.


000000 No.15025340

>>15025317

What indie game?


852a0b No.15025359

>>15025317

Except that's wrong dunkass

https://www.gamecrate.com/explore-technology-brought-breath-wild-life/17630

There are actual systems that simulate wind amd it's interaction with objects and particles.

Talk out your ass elsewhere


8acd5f No.15027062

File: c9f8162eea9f9b1⋯.gif (2.37 MB, 480x270, 16:9, bully.gif)

>>14995440

You lost your right to use the term "cringe" kiddo


000000 No.15035279

>>14994096

>>15007619

I need more of these. Please.


3186c6 No.15035611

>>14992843

BOTW sucks dick Nintendrones. It's another shitty open world game with a coat of Zelda paint. Hopefully they never do something like this again.

>>14995449

It has less RPG elements than fucking Skyrim which can barely be called any kind of RPG. Hell Zelda has less RPG elements than Bordermemes 2. Stupid Ninty kiddies.

>>15001804

>tying us to flat earther faggot shills and brainlets who assist in actively shitting up our already decadent board

Hey, fuck you /leftypol/ these people got btfo even on nu-/pol/

>>15017696

Getting passed the first 10 shrines is a breeze, a question is why the fuck would you do it faggot? They are copy pasted shit the whole game and your admission of this game being casual is duly noted.

>>15024119

>thief is an RPG

You are as dumb as the faggot who responds to this post after and says Harvest Moon isn't an RPG.


11f5a7 No.15035661

>>15035611

Pull the dick out of your mouth, then put a gun in it, pull the trigger until you stop being a faggot.


000000 No.15035681

>>15035611

>Harvest moon is an rpg but Thief isn't

Next you'll say Dark messiah isn't an rpg.


0d060a No.15035747

I recently started BotW on Cemu, and holy shit I didn't expect it to be this comfy


0e0b20 No.15035946

>>15035747

On the one hand I love the rain effects. On the other hand, getting struck by lightning is one feature I could definitely do without ever again, and it also wrecks my climbing. But the rain is really comfy.


c19531 No.15036930

File: 31e902020b23582⋯.jpg (74.22 KB, 1280x720, 16:9, Somewhere a crime is happe….jpg)

>>15035946

Unequip metal items when climbing. Also get the climbing gear as soon as you are able. It effectively doubles your stamina while climbing, as your speed drastically increases. Also when you upgrade the set a bit, you get the matched set bonus that lets you leap while climbing, and burn less stamina.


132107 No.15038237

>>15025256

Putting the garbage console ports aside, it was kind of a big deal if you owned a computer back then, and DOS is not the friendliest thing to use.

>>15035946

The one time I was in a thunderstorm it gave me plenty of warning that I was probably going to get hit.

>>15036930

Climbing gear? I found the bandanna if that's what you mean. It's a shame they didn't really run with the idea of unique items for the weapons.

>>15035279

Camera perversion? Go to *boorus like I did.


94bcbc No.15038287

>>15038237

I think the champion gear counts as unique weapons


000000 No.15045912

Why do we even need durability systems?


c05203 No.15045923

>>15038237

>Climbing gear? I found the bandanna if that's what you mean.

Yes that's what he means. The bandana is part of a set, you need to find the trousers and shirt now. When you wear the whole thing there's a very noticeable difference in climbing speed.

>>15045912

We don't. This game would be a lot better without it.


9a9012 No.15046330

>>15045912

My guess is because if we didn't have durability systems then we would just stick to the same weapon throughout the entire game and it would then be kind of pointless having more than 3 weapon slots (one for wood item in case of thunderstorm, one metal item for extra attack, and one for master sword)

Once I beat a silver Lynel and got a attack 100 Lynel Sword that I now just keep on display in my house. Its fun saving the game, then grabbing the sword, then equipping the barbarian armor set, and seeing how long it takes to kill silver Lynels or guardians (basically you turn them into regular enemies at that point)

Speaking of which, I wonder how effective farming Lynel weapons is just by placing the DLC warp pad near a Lynel spawn and just going to it every blood moon


9a9012 No.15046366

File: 810df3bb964dac6⋯.jpg (150.67 KB, 1280x720, 16:9, BotW_electric.jpg)

Also, I was just reminded that BotW also has electric simulation as well

sage for doublepost


acd48f No.15046631

>>15025121

Ok.

Learn how to use bombs. They are infinite, do more damage then starting weapons, moblins regardless of strength flinch and fly when hit, and you get them right at the start of the game.

Of course they get out-scaled by late game weapons, but we aren't talking about playing the game optimally. A casual player or one who doesn't know how to fight those big/strong foes would turn around and flee. But since you want to kill them you can. Just get gud.


9a9012 No.15046656

>>15046366

>sage for doublepost

And of course I didn't sage. I would've pointed this out but it would've been redundant

>>15046631

Or use magnesis to throw boxes at enemies as well. Most of the time you can kill big guys with just a couple hits. The only hard part is understanding momentum us actually at play here


9a9012 No.15046660

let me get rid of this flag though


acd48f No.15046695

>>15046656

Magnesis is a bit of a mixed bag since its dependent on the environment. If there are no boxes, it does effectively nothing. I would have been nice if it could be upgraded to rip metal weapons from enemy hands but I digress. Still, its an option and a valid one.


132107 No.15047831

>>15046330

They should've worked in more variety to the weapon types, or hell, even gone the dungeon crawler route and give them random stats. The current system of throwaway weapons is pretty ridiculous. It'd also help if the game had more traditional dungeons where you are actually obliged to fight monsters since there's not much incentive to deal with stuff in the overworld.

>>15046366

That aspect was a little less impressive so I'll forgive you for missing it.

>>15046656

How does Magnesis "throw" exactly? You can drop stuff on enemies.


000000 No.15048219

>>15046330

Why is using the same weapon bad?


9a9012 No.15049013

>>15048219

>Why is using the same weapon bad?

Its not. But the developers needed to give players the incentive to use all the different weapon types they made instead of just choosing the most powerful one. In a traditional RPG the developers would do this by giving weapons different tradeoffs (ie. high attack but low DPS vs high dps but low attack) But Zelda is not Dark Souls so they couldn't just do this. I mean I guess they could've, but I think they wanted to take an alternative route instead. That's just my theory


132107 No.15049106

>>15049013

There is some differentiation between weapon types, such as two-handed weapons negating the use of a shield, and spears/fast weapons work better for swatting bats away. But again, they needed to go further with the variance.


000000 No.15049117

>>15049013

You meant like dragon's dogma and monhun?


21ebf8 No.15049120

>>15024786

all normalfag casuals used to be children tho

checkmate faggot


7b01aa No.15049209

>>15024646

Hmm. Okay so you define a RPG by being able to play a role you script for yourself correct? Or would you include a game where you "playing a role" as in playing as a charecter with a well/semi defined history and personality?

Because if you were to include the latter part, the JRPGs would fit the definetion of a Role Playing Game.


0e0b20 No.15049541

>>15048219

It gets boring after so many hours and most people would be too stupid to think "I should switch to another weapon." So the durability system forces them to try new things.


000000 No.15049620

>>15049541

>play my way or ur dum

not an argument


0e0b20 No.15049633

>>15049620

You're right, it's just one theory I had for why the devs did it. Clearly they wanted to create a huge variety of weapons but also wanted to incentivize the player to explore them all so in went the durability system. Either that or they just didn't want the game to be ruled by a single god weapon, especially considering how many things hit harder than the Master Sword.


000000 No.15049775

>>15049633

Then balance them properly make them interesting.


0e0b20 No.15049789

>>15049775

Then you'd have like four weapons and it'd be like any other Zelda game.


000000 No.15050095


8c5ad0 No.15050289

>>15049120

They've deteriorated. There's a reason non-normalfags are called "childish" - normalfags are actually more interesting as people when they're younger but as they grow up they lose all of that as they have to conform to normalfaggotry.

I can't be the only one to have met old buddies from school after so many years only to be disappointed as they became so extremely boring.


000000 No.15051057

>>15050289

>There's a reason non-normalfags are called "childish"

I-I've never thought of it that way before.




[Return][Go to top][Catalog][Nerve Center][Cancer][Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]
[]
[ / / / / / / / / / / / / / ] [ dir / agatha / arepa / cafechan / fascist / hkpol / leftpol / vichan ]