>What country didn't drop in quality in the 80's other than HK?
There must be a few examples, perhaps in a country that didn't have many films before that, but I think most of the big players were better in the 70s
Some film movements of the 80s:
* Late 1970s and 1980s – Hong Kong New Wave Cinema
* 1980s – Russian Parallel Cinema (also referred to as Soviet Parallel Cinema)
* 1980s and 2000s – South Korean New Wave Cinema
* 1980s to present – American Independent Cinema
* 1980s – French ‘Cinéma du look’ Film Movement
* 1982-1990 – Taiwanese First New Wave Cinema
* 1990-2010 – Taiwanese Second New Wave Cinema
* Late 1980s to present – East Asian Cinema [including influential genres like the Hong Kong action film, Japanese anime and South Korean thriller movie]
Here's a book talking about fresh 80s film movements in countries like Iran, Bolivia, Philippines. These movements were all based on Super 8 which I don't personally enjoy very much. I watched the Berlin Super 80 collection and there wasn't too much that stuck with me.